It’s that time of year again! I will be running once again in the Nike Women’s Half Marathon (13.1 miles) and the Honolulu Marathon (26.2 miles) to raise funds and awareness for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. This year, I will be running in memory of my friend John Kark who finally lost his second battle with Leukemia on April 10. For those of you who have been following my fundraising the past 5 years, you’ll know what a great inspiration John has been to me, as well as to anyone who knew him. His positive outlook and fighting spirit were constant reminders for me during my training of the real impact that these funds have on real people living with blood cancers. I am truly honored to have called him a friend. I have pledged this year to raise $5,000 in his memory.
Ways you can help:
1. Visit my fundraising page at http://tinyurl.com/malia-TNT2010 to make a secure donation via credit card.
2. If you have a HawaiianMiles account with extra miles to spare, let me know – by using miles to pay for my flight to San Francisco in October, more $ goes to the Leukemia Society.
3. Purchase a Macy’s Community Shopping day ticket from me for $10 or help sell them at your office, school, or church. Your donation gets you discounts next Saturday 5/15 at Macy’s Ala Moana, including $10 off a $25 purchase so it pays for itself! And 100% of my ticket sales go to the Leukemia Society.
4. Volunteer your time – on Sunday 6/6 from 5am-9am I’m going to be helping out with an aid station at the Hibiscus Half Marathon. Round up a few friends and come down to help me pass out water and Gatorade to thirsty runners and your efforts raise $10/hr worked for the Leukemia Society!
5. If you have a business and would like to collaborate on a fundraiser idea, please let me know! I’m always looking for new ways to get the word out!
Leukemia research is actually leading to breakthroughs with other forms of cancer as well, which is part of the reason that I am so passionate about this cause. Every mile I run, every dollar we raise, we are all moving closer to a cure for cancer, the ultimate finish line! Also, if you have a family member, friend, or loved one who’s been affected by leukemia, please feel free to let me know by replying here or as a comment on the donation page. I’d be honored to run for them as well!
Thank you so much for your continued support!